Deep red and purple colour, bright and vivid. The nose reveals a lot of oak: vanilla, toasty and sawn-timber elements, the finish hot and spirity from elevated alcohol. This is a classic example of the Elderton style. Ripe, voluptuous blackberry fruit is framed by a robust structure, vanillin oak and gentle tannins.
The vineyard was first planted on the banks of the North Para River in Nuriootpa in 1894 by early German settlers, the Scholz family. In 1916, it was purchased by Samuel Elderton Tolley who named the Estate ‘Elderton’. He built himself a sprawling homestead on the Estate and sold the fruit to his family’s winery. It was run successfully for many years, but became derelict in the early years of the vine pull (circa 1975).
The second generation took the reins of the business in 2003. Brothers Cameron and Allister believe very strongly in continuing the traditions that began a generation earlier, on the Nuriootpa vineyard. Wanting to take the family company to the next level, they together devised a plan to buy great vineyards in other significant sub appellations of the Barossa.